Brother Samuel C. Williamson, Right Worshipful Past Grand Master (December 28,1981 – December 27, 1983) of the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in Pennsylvania is a member of Valley Lodge No. 613 located in Turtle Creek, PA. Brother Williamson was Raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason on December 3, 1951 in Tyrian Lodge No. 612, and served as Worshipful Master in 1959.
He was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 54th Masonic District in 1962 and served through 1971. He was appointed a member of the Committee on Masonic Homes in 1971, served as the Chairman for a term, and was a member of the Committee for a total of 21 years. He has also chaired the Committee on Youth Activities, the Committee on Finance and the Committee on Matching Charity Grants.
During his term as the Right Worshipful Grand Master, Brother Williamson founded the Pennsylvania Masonic Youth Foundation, which is a charitable foundation owned and operated by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania to promote leadership training for youth, and to support the Masonic-related youth groups such as DeMolay, Job’s Daughters and Rainbow. He has served on the Board of Directors as an officer of the corporation since its inception and presently serves as Chairman. He was the first recipient of the Grand Lodge of PA’s HODEGOS Award for Distinguished Adult Service.
Also during his term as Grand Master he served as the Chairman of the Conference of Grand Masters of Masons of North America for the 1982-1983 term.
His many other Masonic affiliations include:
- Valley of Pittsburgh, AASR, Past Commander in Chief (coroneted with the 33rd Degree in 1977.)
- Valley Royal Arch Chapter No. 289, Past High Priest, 1979
- Liberty Valley Council No. 50, Royal and Select Master Masons
- Duquesne Commandery No. 72, Knights Templar
- Syria Shrine, Pittsburgh
- U.S. Premier Conclave, Red Cross of Constantine
- Gateway to the West Council No. 5, Knight Masons
- Center Forest No. 129, Tall Cedars of Lebanon
- Islam Grotto, Pittsburgh
- Golden Triangle York Rite College No. 22
- Royal Order of Scotland
- Excelsior Mark Lodge No. 216
- Pennsylvania Masonic Homes High Twelve Club No. 629, Charter Member
- Western Pennsylvania Preceptory, DeMolay Legion of Honor
Among many positions, he served on the Board of Governors of the Philadelphia Unit of the Shriner’s Hospitals for Children.
Brother Williamson is a Senior DeMolay of the former McKinley Chapter in Turtle Creek, where he served as Scribe, Chapter Advisor, and Advisory Council Chairman, and his commitment to the organization has remained unchanged throughout the years. He was made an Honorary Member of the DeMolay International Supreme Council in 1983, and was elected to Active membership in 1986. During his Active membership he served as Chairman of the Public Relation Committee, the Advisor Recruitment and Training Committee, and the Appeals and Grievances Committee. He became Executive Officer for DeMolay in Pennsylvania in 1987 and served until July of 2000. He was elected Grand Treasurer of DeMolay International in 1996 and served until 2002, when he was appointed Grand Treasurer Emeritus.
Among his many honors, he was awarded the Pennsylvania Franklin Medal for ourstanding service to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, in 1984, and the Daniel Coxe Medal of the Grand Lodge of New Jersey, for outstanding service to Freemasonry, in 2005. He holds the DeMolay Active Legion of Honor and served as Dean of the Western Pennsylvania Preceptory. He was among the first to be honored with DeMolay International’s Grand Cross for outstanding service to the International Supreme Council. He also received the Rainbow Grand Cross of Color for his years of service on the Senior Grand Executive Committee.
Born in Pitcairn, PA, Brother Williamson was educated in the public schools of the borough and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering in 1950 from the University of Pittsburgh. Employed by United States Steel Corporation (now USX Corp) since his discharge from the United States Army in 1952, Brother Williamson retired as Superintendent of the Chemicals Department at the Clairton Works. Brother Williamson is a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers; the American Chemical Society; the Eastern States Blast Furnace and Coke Oven Association, and is a Past President and Past Director of the River Terminal Operators Association, Port of Pittsburgh. He presently resides in Wilkins Township.
Active in his community and in business, Brother Williamson served as a Vice President and Director of the Sentinel Savings Association of Delmont, PA. He was elected to Pitcairn Borough Council from 1967 to 1973. He is a Past Director of the Pittsburgh Athletic Association and a member of the USX Good Fellowship Club. He was a long-time member of the Center Avenue United Methodist Church in Pitcairn, where he chaired the Administration Board and the Finance Committee, served as Superintendent of the Sunday School, also as a Trustee, and served on the Board of Directors of the Jumonville Christian Retreat Center of the Western Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church.